So that you’ve completed your first podcast episode and now you’re able to launch it to the world. The issue—listeners aren’t going to stumble alongside and discover your podcast prefer it’s 2007. The answer is to create a strong digital advertising and marketing technique on your podcast launch.
Right here at Foundr we’ve launched and grown 2 profitable podcasts that garner 100,000+ downloads. How’d we do it? Learn our podcast advertising and marketing recommendation and get your present within the ears of your future followers.
5 Methods for Podcast Advertising and marketing
Getting the phrase out about your new podcast can take many kinds, however one of the best place to start out with podcast advertising and marketing is to search for the place your present clients, followers, and viewers are spending their time.
Don’t have an energetic following but? Begin with your pals, household, or business colleagues. Take into consideration your target market and why they need to hearken to your podcast.
Listed here are some inquiries to ask to make your podcast advertising and marketing technique efficient:
Now that you simply’ve thought of the place your online business, model, and platforms stand, it’s time to market your podcast to potential listeners.
#1: Promote Your Podcast with Video
The strains between audio and video mediums have blurred because of the acceptance of video conferencing and distant software program instruments. Luckily, this evolution has made it simpler than ever to advertise a podcast utilizing the facility of video.
Video is without doubt one of the strongest methods to have interaction an viewers on social media, making it important to include in your podcast advertising and marketing. Begin easy by pulling a 30-second snippet of an episode with subtitles and graphics that you would be able to promote on Instagram or TikTok.
If you wish to improve your podcast advertising and marketing with video, file your episodes concurrently on video and add them as clips or full episodes to YouTube (like this podcast episode from Tifo). Some podcasts simulcast dwell on platforms like Twitch or Fb Dwell.
Fortunately you don’t want to rent a full manufacturing crew to advertise your podcast utilizing video. Listed here are instruments to include video into your podcast advertising and marketing technique:
We file all our interviews for the Foundr Podcast and From Zero to Foundr Podcast. Then we pull quick clips and share them throughout our social channels. We’ve seen a lot success from these movies that we began a brand new channel referred to as Foundr Tales devoted to sharing full-length video variations of the podcasts.
Including the technical challenges of video could seem to be pointless work to your podcast manufacturing—you might need even began a podcast to keep away from investing in video—however new instruments are making it simpler than ever to market your podcast utilizing video. Begin small, check, study, and develop your video promos alongside your podcast.
#2: Get a Podcast Visitor, Be a Podcast Visitor
In case your podcast has visitors or interviews, you’re already constructing advertising and marketing into the present’s technique. Touchdown a well-liked visitor can immediately deliver your podcast recognition and standing. Heck, that technique kicked off foundr within the first place (watch the total story under). Company additionally deliver their followers to your present, gaining publicity in a reciprocity relationship.
However you don’t should land Richard Bronson on your first interview to achieve success. There could also be a visitor in your area of interest business described because the “Bronson of [insert your industry].” Your podcast’s attain will develop when you’ve gotten constant visitors that present worth to your viewers and herald new listeners.
Make it straightforward on your visitors to share their look on the podcast by offering promo belongings, social handles, and social copy templates. Under is a template we use when following up with visitors:
Hello [insert name talent or talent contact], thanks for showing as a visitor on our podcast. I wished to let you realize that the episode is now dwell on our channels.
In an effort to broaden the attain and influence of the content material, are you able to share the hyperlink(s) under in your social channels and tag us?
Podcast episode: [Insert Link]
[Insert social media handles]
Undecided how one can promote the content material you’re featured in? [Try our posting templates].
Thanks once more for partnering with us on the podcast!
Reserving visitors aren’t the one method to increase your podcast advertising and marketing—why not be a visitor your self?
Matchmaker.fm is sort of a courting app for podcasters. You will discover visitors or be a visitor on a podcast and embrace the subjects related to your podcast/experience for a high quality match. And identical to a courting app, it’s important to optimize your profile to place your finest self ahead; in any other case, you’ll be caught on a metaphorical “unhealthy date,” besides this time, will probably be recorded.
By reserving high quality visitors and being a high quality visitor, you’ll begin constructing a podcast group that can broaden your viewers, attain, and entice new markets. You would possibly even make a buddy or two.
#3: Set up a Constant Social Presence
Beginning a podcast isn’t a one-medium challenge. You’re establishing a brand new product, so deal with it with equal care. Advertising and marketing the discharge of your podcast will probably be thrilling on your model and viewers, however don’t lose momentum. Like every channel, you might want to constantly promote the podcast and episodes as a result of not each single individual that follows your model will subscribe (or hear) to your podcast.
For many of you, advertising and marketing your podcast will happen throughout your already established model or enterprise channels. Be certain every podcast episode is posted on Fb, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter TikTok, and so forth. Construct this into your social media technique and experiment with social advertisements if you happen to’re seeking to attain new listeners.
In some instances, it may be simpler to individually create social accounts (or perhaps a web site) on your podcast. This transfer could be dangerous as a result of it’d compete along with your private model or enterprise. Listed here are some causes to ascertain your podcast’s personal social channels:
- Your podcast isn’t related to your online business or private model
- Your content material from the podcast is unique to the channel
- You need to differentiate your podcast viewers from your online business viewers
- Your podcast viewers measurement is giant sufficient to have a separate platform for information, information, and dialogue
- You need to put your podcast behind a paywall
Podcast advertising and marketing on social media takes as a lot effort and self-discipline as producing a podcast. However don’t be discouraged. Make a plan, create templates, schedule content material, and work forward. You’ll be shocked how your podcast and social media development can complement one another.
Learn extra: The best way to Promote on Fb for Social Media Rookies
#4: Begin an E mail E-newsletter for Your Listeners
E mail newsletters are coming again (or did they ever go away) as an efficient and free method to attain clients. Incorporate your podcast advertising and marketing in your subsequent e mail e-newsletter. Create an icon selling every episode or a quote from a latest interview.
If you have already got a longtime e mail listing (or don’t have one but), give your viewers a chance to opt-in to a podcast-specific e-newsletter that features the next:
- New episode alerts
- Merchandise hyperlinks
- Content material “from the archives”
- Episode notes and hyperlinks to visuals
- Teaser concerning the subsequent visitor or episode
- Transcriptions from the interviews
- Promotion of social channels
- Methods listeners can become involved
E mail newsletters are a robust (and invasive) channel to market your podcast. Make sure you’re offering visible worth to your audio followers and never simply including to their unread inbox.
#5: Construct an Interactive Community
Podcast advertising and marketing is all about making a community of listeners that do extra than simply press play. Constructing a two-way relationship takes a podcast from a platform to a valued property.
When you’ve constructed up a strong cadence of episodes and listeners, attain out to get them concerned. Listed here are methods to make your podcast an interactive community of followers:
- Put Your Viewers within the Present: Ask your listeners to share tales, concepts, or suggestions for future episodes. Create a call-in line utilizing instruments like Speakpipe or create an e mail inbox particularly for listeners. Folks like to be heard, and it may possibly create loyal listeners for years. Plus, a mailbag or call-in episode is ideal for producing extra content material whenever you’re operating low on concepts or must take per week off.
- Incentivize Scores and Critiques: Each podcast has to plead with its listeners to charge and evaluation the present on their most well-liked podcast app. However why not make it value their whereas? Enter every reviewer into sweepstakes or learn the critiques in your present to encourage suggestions.
- Declare Your Present: Increasingly podcast aggregators and apps pop up like Podchaser. Just be sure you declare your present throughout apps and rising audio apps.
- Construct a Group Platform: One of many challenges of podcasting is that you would be able to’t actively work together with followers like YouTube or Twitch. Making a Discord, Fb Group, or Patreon on your podcast may also help manage your ambiguous listeners right into a group of followers.
- Add Common Contributors: You probably have a well-liked common visitor, why not make them a contributor to the podcast? For instance, The Jurassic Park Podcast, Small Beans, and The Complete Soccer Present are podcasts the place completely different contributors fill episode slots on particular subjects. Primarily you’re making a mini-network inside one podcast feed. By including contributors, you’ll be able to improve your content material output, broaden your viewers, and share possession of your podcast.
- Begin a Spinoff Podcast: We don’t advise this till you’ve established a constant and in style podcast. Beginning a derivative podcast would be the results of your podcast advertising and marketing success. At this level, your present has a powerful sufficient following that wishes extra content material and/or searching for a unique theme, fashion, or host. We began the From Zero to Foundr Podcast to share tales of up-and-coming founders with our viewers to allow them to study real-time recommendation from their friends.
Increase Your Podcast Advertising and marketing Abilities
Just like the medium itself, podcast advertising and marketing continues to be in its infancy with room for experimentation, development, and creativity.
Go to our catalog of free advertising and marketing programs that may educate you other ways to broaden your podcast’s attain. From Instagram to YouTube advertisements, our instructors will share their confirmed advertising and marketing methods to succeed in audiences and develop your companies.